Every year when Pantone announces the color of the year I like to explore ways in which I might incorporate the trend into my own life. This year they changed things up by announcing two colors that are meant to complement each other. I have to admit, I didn’t find many examples where I liked these colors together. I’m sure someone out there could work them together without looking like a bag of cotton candy, but I am not that person. So I’m mainly going to be exploring this trend separately.
Rose Quartz: As much as I love pink, I’m not in love with this shade, especially for clothing. I feel like it would make me look even paler than I already am. The way I would incorporate this color is going straight to the source – actual rose quartz. I especially love the look of raw rose quartz and found many beautiful pieces on Etsy.
One thing rose quartz does lend itself well to is makeup and nails. I love the idea of rose blushes and shimmery neutrals with a rosy undertone.
Serenity: I stared at this one a while until it dawned on me that Serenity was Cinderella blue. Suddenly the floodgates opened. My picks for this are definitely inspired by the idea of a modern Cinderella. This is one that I can see myself incorporating into my clothing and accessories because it looks good with my skin tone and makes my eyes look even brighter and bluer. It’s also very close to my birthstone, Blue Zircon.
- GUESS Double Breasted Boucle Cutaway Coat, Pale Pink – $149 at Nordstrom
- Kendra Scott Alex Rose Quartz Earrings, Rose – $55 at Neiman Marcus
- Mini Raw Rose Quartz Vine Solitaire Ring – $80 from Pigeon Dynamite on Etsy
- Maybelline New York The Blushed Nudes – $9.98 from Amazon
- Revlon Brilliant Strength Nail Enamel in Allure – $3.98 from Amazon
- M.A.C. Creme Cup Cremesheen Lipstick – $17 at M.A.C. Cosmetics
- Cultured Peal and Pink Coral Rose Earrings with Blue Topaz – $85 from Ross-Simons
- Multi-Gemstone Cluster Ring – $695 from Ross-Simons
- Full Tilt Fast Lane Sunglasses in Periwinkle – $9.99 at Tilly’s
- Keds Teacup Sneaker in Periwinkle – $29.97 at Nordstrom Rack
- Calvin Klein Wool-Cashmere Blend Peacoat in Baby Blue – $129.98 from Macy’s
- Tory Burch Robinson Chain Wallet in Iceberg – $295 from Tory Burch
- Essie Nail Color in Saltwater Happy – $8.50 from Amazon
- Disney Cinderella Ready for the Ball Beauty Book – $9.99 at Walgreens
What do you think of the 2016 colors of the year? Will you be following any of these trends?